Ski touring is all about succumbing to the longing to get away from the better-known hills and find harmony with the mountains and nature. After an ascent that saps your strength, you are rewarded by an exhilarating ride down hillsides covered deep in pristine snow.
With its seven side valleys and a broad selection of mountain and high-peaks tours, the Lungau region is an El Dorado for ski tourers. Enjoying the meteorological benefits of alpine elevations over 1200 m, the Lungau is an ideal base for magical ski tours ranging from easy to expert.
Ski-Touring Guide - online or in a ring binder
The Lungau region's ski-touring guide contains 22 routes, each described in detail, including tips for the ascent and recommendations for the most exhilarating rides back down through the deep snow. This ski-touring guide, which is available in a handy A5-format ring binder, can be obtained from the Lungau regional tourist office, as well as all local tourist offices, at a price of just Euro 10, excluding postage and handling.
› Order the ski-touring guide in a ring binder
› Go to the online ski-touring guide
PLEASE NOTE: In general, ski touring is not permitted after 5 pm on any of the ski slopes in the Lungau ski region!
- Exception: the Aineck, St. Margarethen, every Monday from 5 until 10 pm
- Exception: Grosseck, Mauterndorf, every Wednesday from 5 until 8 pm
Preber in Tamsweg
Especially in springtime, the 2,740 m-high Preber is a real magnet, affording magnificent views ranging from the Grossglockner to the Karawanken. Nothing to sneeze at either are the mighty peaks of the Niedere and Hohe Tauern, the Schladminger Tauern, as well as the charming rounded mountaintops of the Nockberge.
Information: Tamsweg Tourist Office T +43 (0)6474 2145
The Nock area in Schönfeld-Karneralm is the oldest and one of the most interesting ski-touring areas in Austria. From an elevation of 1500 m, you can ascend mountains such as the Gaipahöhe and the Königstuhl, or up to the shores of the Rosaninsee.
Information: Almhotel Schönfeld T +43 (0)4736 321
Riedingtal Nature Park in Zederhaus
Some 50 ski-touring peaks and snowy starting elevations over 1200 m give this Nature Park community a ski-touring season that lasts over six months. One popular destination is the Grosskesseltal, which is an ideal base for lots of splendid ski tours, such as tours up to the Aignerhöhe or the Mosermandl, elev. 2680 m.
A ski-touring guide for Zederhaus is available for free from the tourist office!
Information: Gasthof Kirchenwirt T +43 (0)6478 222 or Zederhaus Tourist Office T +43 (0)6478 801
Ski-Touring Weeks in Mariapfarr
Albert's Ski School: T +43 (0)6473 7197 & +43 (0)650 9500135
- Course Venue: Depending on snow conditions either on the Fanningberg, Grosseck-Speiereck, Katschberg-Aineck, Schönfeld or Obertauern.
- Dates: 27 January to 02 February 2013 as well as 10 to 16 March 2013, or by special arrangement
- Arrival and departure are on Saturday
- Fees: from Euro 497,- (includes 7 nights lodgings, breakfast, ski-guide fee for 6 guided ski tours, bus transfers from your lodgings to the start of the tour and back)
- Minimum Participation: 4 people
- Accommodation is provided in a comfortable guesthouse with double rooms. Surcharge for single occupancy: Euro 5 per day.