The Mur, Austria's second-longest river, has its headwaters in the Salzburger Lungau. In its honor, one of the most beautiful bike paths in Austria was created.
With a total distance of approximately 365 kilometers, you are able to accompany the river from Lungau and through Styria, all the way down to the Slovenia border and Bad Radkersburg in the Styrian "Thermenland" region.
- Elevation change: 1078 vertical meters (total gains only, through undulating terrain), while the elevation change between the origin of the Mur in Lungau and Bad Radkersburg in Styria is 1675 vm.
- Difficulty: easy to moderate, for touring cyclists
- Surface: paved and well compacted bike paths (asphalt, gravel)
- Recommended time schedule: about one week incl. time set aside for a spot of sightseeing
- Ideal months: mid-April through mid-October
- Signposting: continuous, green signs and "R2 Murradweg" signs (these signs are different in Salzburg and Styria)
- Riding with children: We only recommend this tour for children who have passed the equivalent of the basic bicycling skills test.
- Barrier-free for wheelchair-bound people using hand-bikes!
By bus or car to the National Park Village of Muhr - Hintermuhr via the Arsenhaus (1341 m, no refreshments) to the Muritzen car park (coin-operated toll gate at the Arsenhaus; € 5 per car out and back).
From there, you have the option of riding your bike (20 % incline!) or the Lungau Valley Bus to the Sticklerhütte (refreshment point, 1752 m). Continue on foot along a country lane across alpine pastures to the origin of the Mur at 1898 m (ca. 1 1/4 hr walk). From the Muritzen car park, you can also walk via a path leading to the Sticklerhütte in about 1 hour.
From the Sticklerhütte or the town center of Muhr, the Murradweg begins downhill through the broad valley basin of the Lungau, past St. Michael, St. Margarethen, Unternberg (rest opportunities), Tamsweg to Ramingstein.
Between Tamsweg and Ramingstein, you will discover a fascinating world of legends, passing original waypoints for bikers and carved reliefs recounting legends that are said to have occurred at the various locations, also accompanied by interesting facts about the theme of wood and forests. At this stage, you will cross over from SalzburgerLand into Styria, beginning with Predlitz, followed by Murau, Judenburg, Zeltweg, Knittelfeld, Leoben, Bruck an der Mur, Frohnleiten, Graz and ultimately Bad Radkersburg, on the Slovenian border.
Beginning of May until the end of September
Bad Radkersburg to St. Michael im Lungau / Muhr
(opportunities to get on and off anywhere along the entire Murradweg)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 2 PM and Sunday at 11 AM - Departure: from the bus parking area - Neue Kurhausstrasse (next to the Vitalhotel)
Bad Radkersburg via Graz and Bruck an der Mur to Unzmarkt, then on the Murtalbahn line via Murau to Tamsweg. From Tamsweg, ride the Postbus to St. Michael, Muhr and Rotgülden.
On Sundays and public holidays, coming from Graz the bus only runs as far as St. Michael/Unterweissburg. For the rest of the way, you will have to take a taxi or ride your bike. Further information about the Murradweg can be found in the free Murradweg brochure!