Mur bike path
the most beautiful river bike path in the Alps
The Mur, Austria's second-longest river, has its origins here with us in the Lungau. In its honor, one of the most beautiful bike paths in Austria was created. Along its 365 km route, we accompany the river from the Lungau, through Styria, and down to Bad Radkersburg, on the Slovenian border in Styria's Thermenland region.
- Elevation change: 1,078 vertical meters (solely in gains, due to the undulating countryside). between the headwaters of the Mur in the Lungau and Bad Radkersburg in Styria, there is an elevation change of 1,675 vm.
- Difficulty: easy to moderate, for touring cyclists
- Surface: paved or well-compacted gravel bike paths
- Recommended time to complete: Around one week incl. time set aside for sightseeing
- Ideal time of year: From mid April until mid October
- Markings: Green signs and marked "R2- Murradweg" (different in Salzburg and Styria)
- Cycling with children: Only recommended for children who have completed a bike-safety class.
- Barrier-free for wheelchair users using handbikes!
The national park village of Muhr is the starting point
By bus or car to the national park community of Muhr-Hintermuhr, and via the Arsenhaus (elev. 1,341 m, not staffed) on to the Muritzen car park (toll gate at the "Arsenhaus", coin-operated, EUR 5 per car round-trip). From there, an opportunity to ride your bike (20 % incline!) or take the Lungau valley shuttle to the Sticklerhütte (1,752 m, refreshment opportunity). Continue on foot along a country path to the origin of the Mur at 1,898 m (ca. 1.25-hour walk).
From the Muritzen car park, you can also hike along a footpath to the Sticklerhütte in around 1 hour.
Heinz Schrempf, T +43 (0)664 1239394
Setting out on the Mur Bike Path
From the Sticklerhütte or the town center of Muhr, the Mur Bike Path begins downhill through the broad basin of the Lungau region, passing by St. Michael, St. Margarethen, Unternberg (refreshment and rest opportunities), Tamsweg on the way to Ramingstein. Between Tamsweg and Ramingstein, you travel through a world woven in legend. As you ride from one bike station and carved relief to the next, you will learn all kinds of information about local legends, said to have occurred at those very places, as well as gain fascinating insights into native forests and wood.
Then you cross from SalzburgerLand into Styria, beginning with Predlitz and continuing on to Murau, Judenburg, Zeltweg, Knittelfeld, Leoben, Bruck an der Mur, Frohnleiten, Graz and Bad Radkersburg on the Slovenian border.
Organized pick-up service from May to October on the Mur Bike Path
Bad Radkersburg to St. Michael im Lungau
(pick-up and drop-off along the entire length of the Mur Bike Path)
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday: 2 pm from Bad Radkersburg
Sunday: 11 am from the car park at Therme Bad Radkersburg
Price per person: € 52 incl. bike and luggage
Children up to age 12: € 40
Advance registration is required!
- Bacher Reisen, T +43 (0)6477 8111, [email protected]
Ride back from the Mur Bike Path by train & bus
Bad Radkersburg via Graz and Bruck an der Mur to Unzmarkt, continuing with the Murtalbahn via Murau to Tamsweg. From Tamsweg by post bus to St. Michael, Muhr and Rotgülden. Coming from Graz, on Sundays and holidays the bus only runs to St. Michael and Unterweissburg. For the rest of the route, you will have to take a taxi or ride your bike.Print Page