©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

Churches and Monuments

Sense the peace and power

Testimony to cultural development spanning the centuries, the various towns and villages of Salzburger Lungau are home to numerous churches and monuments. 

Often, they are also places of power. As you explore the many churches & monuments, you sense their enormous energy and power. 

"Visit our beautiful churches & monuments"

©Alberto di Nardi

Pilgrimage Church of St. Leonhard in Tamsweg

The magnificent parish church we know today was built back in the Baroque period, though its foundations rest upon the gothic and romanesque buildings which preceded it. By 1421, Tamsweg had already begun to become a popular pilgrimage destination.

A miraculous statue of St. Leonhard inspired the construction of a pilgrimage church. The gothic building in the south of Tamsweg, with its precious decorations and unique glass windows, is as radiant now as ever. Back in the Late Middle Ages, the pilgrimage to St. Leonhard was one of the most revered far and wide.

more information 

©Infostelle Mariapfarr

Mariapfarr Parish & Pilgrimage Basilica

Originally romanesque, this church acquired its current form in the 15th century.

That notwithstanding, today's visitors can still marvel at the 13th and 14th century frescoes as well as a valuable and purportedly miraculous painting dating back to the 15th century. The parish church was proclaimed a basilica in 2018, the only one, other than Maria Plain, in Salzburger Land. Also worth seeing: Joseph Mohr Platz, a square where you will find the Silent Night Fountain honoring the man who, here in Mariapfarr back in 1816, wrote the text for the world-famous Christmas song "Silent Night".

more information

©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

Parish Church of St. Margarethen

Historic landmark: A document of Salzburg archbishop Eberhard II from the year 1231 provides written reference to a church in St. Margarethen. In this document, the Capella Sanctae Margarethae is mentioned as the filial church of Mariapfarr.

The influence of the Lords of Moosham is likely the main reason why Sankt Margarethen is mentioned as an independent Lungau parish by 1421. The nave acquired a rib-vaulted ceiling and a new chancel was built. Since then, the church has had a Late Gothic interior. The church decor ultimately received its finishing touches in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The church is open daily, tours upon request, registration through the tourist information office in St. Margarethen T+43 (0)6476 812

©Fuchs Doris

Roman stones in St. Margarethen

These stones are the only ones on the Tauern Road still to be found in the location where they were originally placed.

These Roman milestones indicated the 27th mile of the Roman road to Teuria, which was built in the year 201 AD.

©Infostelle St. Margarethen

"Trattnermühle" in St. Margarethen

A mill shared by 3 farms used to lie right on the Karlsberggraben, until a big storm changed the course of the stream forever. The building is divided into two rooms. On the gable side, a modest wooden staircase leads to the entrance door and through this into the "Gmach", the living room. 

The actual mill is attached to this room. The mill housing and bagger are still preserved. The mill wheel itself is located at the second gabled side. The mill was driven by an overshot waterwheel, making optimal use of the power of the water. This mill is estimated to be roughly three hundred years old.

Guided tours by appointment; Information office in St. Margarethen T + 43 (0)6476 812

©Infostelle Mauterndorf

St. Bartholomäus Parish Church in Mauterndorf

This imposing church stands in the historic town center, featuring romanesque, early gothic as well as baroque elements.

One special highlight is the altar painting “The Agony of Saint Bartholomew” by J. Fr. Pireth from the year 1668.

©Biosphärenpark Salzburger Lungau

Suppan Chapel in Mariapfarr

When, in 1872, the baroque side altars of 1670 and 1710 were removed from the parish church in Mariapfarr, the then owners of the Suppan, Josef Löcker and Anna née Schitter purchased parts of them, thereby preserving them from destruction. They built a chapel as a suitable home.

In 1919, Melchior Schitter and Rosina née Schreilechner had them restored. In 1966, at the suggestion of the Austrian Monuments Office, Josef Prodinger and Christine née Schitter built this new chapel to replace the dilapidated one, concurrent with a complete restoration.

©Infostelle Mariapfarr

Church of St. Laurentius in Althofen

You probably won't immediately appreciate the actual age of the small filial church of St. Laurentius in Althofen, though archaeological excavations have unearthed remnants of several preceding churches. An ancient document indicating a burial charter it held certainly suggests the true age of this church.

In 1744, Pastor Anton Buecher had the gothic church demolished and a central baroque structure built by Johann Kleber. Unornamented on the outside, the church has a clover-leaf-shaped footprint, while being crowned by a ridge turret with lanterns. Since the most recent restoration in 1983, the interior has been staged to perfection. Highlighted by the attractive ensemble of three altars.

(c) Ferienregion Salzburger Lungau

Church of St. Wolfgang in Mauterndorf

This small church from 1642 lies on a small hill just a few minutes from the town center.

The "Mount Calvary" as well as the crucifixion group on the south side of the facade are well worth a visit. Also noteworthy: the view from St. Wolfgang's church across the Lungau basin out towards the surrounding mountains.

©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

St. Michael's Parish Church

St. Michael's Church is said to have been built in the 9th/10th century on the site of a pre-Christian place of worship. After falling into disrepair in around 1100 AD, the new Michaelskirche was built in 1147, also when it was first chronicled.

In 1500, a nave was added to the parish church and subsequently reconsecrated in 1513 together with the filial church of St. Martin. The octagonal charnel house - the St. Wolfgang Chapel - presumably dates back to the 14th century.

Guided tours by appointment; St. Michael Parsonage T +43 (0) 6477 8229


©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

St. Ägidius Filial & Pilgrimage Church

The "Egidikirche" lies to the west of town above Dasl,  on the lower extremity of the Speiereck. It was first chronicled in the 13th century.

This simple church, expanded in 1650, has a romanesque nucleus and has ties to the Burgstall Ruins (located above the church).


©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

St. Augustin's Chapel and the "Augenbründl" in St. Michael

An 18th-cent. votive panel evokes the many stories and legends associated with St. Augustin's Chapel in St. Martin (St.Michael). This chapel, which stands on a small hill in the forest, already existed - according to legend - back in the year 283 AD, though was purely made of wood back then.

This small monument is maintained by the Bachbauer Farm in St. Martin. In 1983, it had to be rebuilt after being struck by lightning. Next to the chapel, built at a carefully chosen site of immense natural power, is a spring which circulates clockwise. This water, known by the locals as "Augenstil" water, is said to have the same healing benefits as the water of Lourdes. It can be stored for an unlimited length of time and people make the pilgrimage here in order to ease their eye afflictions.

©TVB Salzburger Lungau Katschberg

The Holy Family in the Pine, Thomatal

A group of three trees, which had grown together naturally over time, inspired Lower Austrian architect Ernst Adelsberger to transform them into the Holy Family.

He began carving in 1999, while in the following year he also created Saints Barbara and Leonhard. In 2001, the owners then went ahead and built a chapel around the Holy Family. The Holy Family in the Pine lies right next to the Bundschuher Landesstraße and is clearly marked.

Troadkasten im Salzburger Lungau

Troadkasten - throughout Salzburger Lungau

A grain crib - known here as a "Troadkasten" - used to be an integral part of every farmhouse. Originally made of logs which were then masterfully dovetailed together.

Since the 16th century, they were made instead with brick to withstand fire, then decorated with frescoes. You will encounter them in practically all Lungau communities.

Castles & Palaces in Salzburger Lungau

Find more here!